When you think of New Year’s Eve, many people imagine celebrating with substances, from fancy cocktails to champagne to drugs. If you are a long-time user of various substances, it can be difficult to find enjoyable ways to ring in the new year without the use of a substance.
Here are some tips for how to have a fun & sober New Year’s Eve:
- Host a Sober Party. Invite only those who are willing to stay sober. Plan for specific events, such as video or board game contests, karaoke, or have a dance party. Activities will offer a distraction from using or drinking.
- Have a Destination Party. Go to a remote location, such a mountain cabin or rent a boat. This will offer new scenery and will reduce your access to substances.
- Attend an Alco-thon or Narco-thon. Lasting 12 to 24 hours, these provide a sober way to gather with others and connect. Various topics are discussed throughout the day, and it may end with a party. Contact the local NA to find out about events.
- Plan a Fun Activity. Go on a holiday lights cruise. Attend a late movie. Make a special dinner at home and invite over a sober friend.
- Check out Meetup Groups. Meetup.com lists various groups, and you can find opportunities to meet with those who are clean and sober. Events are typically small groups engaged in a specific activity, such as hiking or beach walks.
- If you are in the LA area, here is a list of sober holiday events.
All of us at Elevated Recovery are wishing you a safe, clean, Happy New Year!